WHEREAS it is considered expedient to establish and organize the Sanskrit Academy with annual grants from the Government of Andhra Pradesh, the Osmania University and such other bodies which may wish to contribute as a society for the promotion of research in Sanskrit studies and also in particular for the publication of old and rare Sanskrit manuscripts in Sanskrit language or, if necessary, in translations and to extend its scope or activity without in any way prejudicing its aims and objects, and in view of its association with the Osmania University and the award of annual grant therefore, it is hereby resolved that the following Constitution pertaining to the Sanskrit Academy be approved.
This society shall be called the Sanskrit Academy, Osmania University, Hyderabad, which will function under the auspices of the Osmania University, Hyderabad as a semi-autonomous institution.
In this Constitution, unless there is anything repugnant with the subject or context ‘Constitution’ means the Constitution of the Sanskrit Academy, Osmania University, Hyderabad. ‘Academy’ means the Sanskrit Academy, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
It shall be housed on the University campus, free of rent.
AIMS AND OBJECTS
The following shall be its Aims and Objects:-
- To collect, preserve and investigate old and rare Sanskrit manuscripts.
- To edit and publish rare Sanskrit manuscripts and also to undertake the publication of research work pertaining to Sanskrit.
- To promote Sanskrit learning in general and research in particular.
FINANCES, PROPERTY, ETC.
- All the monetary funds shall be kept in the name and account of the Academy in banks recognized by the Government and shall be operated by and under the authority of the Executive Board.
- All the publications of the Academy, stock of books, office equipment, library, securities, moveable and immoveable property and other belongings shall be considered as the exclusive property of the Academy.
- No amount from the Capital Fund or other sources of income of the Academy shall be utilized for any other purpose except for its Aims and Objects.
- All copyright, royalty and other privileges of republication, translation etc, shall be vested in the Academy.
- All records, registers, account books, securities, stock and documents of moveable and immoveable properties shall be maintained in accordance with the rules of Government Audit Department.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
All employees of the Academy shall be subject to the rules of service as are in force in the University.
The Organization of the Academy shall consist of two Boards:-
01) The Executive Board, and
02) The Academic Board.
POWERS & FUNCTIONS OF THE EXECUTIVE BOARD.
The Executive Board shall have the following powers and functions:-
- To exercise the executive authority of the Board in pursuance of the Aims and Objects,
- To make, amend or repeal the ordinary rules and regulations and approve bye-laws,
- To manage, regulate and administer Capital Funds, finances, accounts, investments, property and other administrative affairs of the Academy,
- To cause to maintain the accounts, to supervise and get them audited periodically according to the financial rules of the Government of Hyderabad,
- To sanction non-recurring grants and unforeseen expenditure not provided for in the Budget of the year,
- To enter into, vary, carryout and cancel contracts, transact business and undertake legal proceedings and do other acts incidental or appertaining to a society on behalf of the Academy,
- To accept endowments, grants and donations and to approve the terms and conditions of such donations on behalf of the Academy provided that no conditions are attached to such donations which are not in line with the aims objects and which in any manner result in the reservation of any benefit or advantage to such donors or any other person nominated by them.
- To appoint, suspend or dismiss or retire the servants of the Academy and to fix their duties and scales of pay,
- To draw up and sanction the Annual Budget of the Academy within the limits of provision and forward it to the Osmania University Council and the Government granting aid,
- To prepare and adopt the Annual Administrative Report of the Academy, and to forward it to the Osmania University Council and the Government granting aid for information,
- To confirm the annual program of publications approved by the Academic Board, except unless it proves contrary to the Aims and Objects of the Academy, and to suggest alternative schemes, if any,
- To establish, equip and maintain an editorial staff and establishment for the publications of the Academy,
- To do all such acts and exercise all such powers as may be required to further the Aims and Objects of the Academy,
- The Executive Board shall ordinarily hold its meeting twice a year and all routine cases be decided by circulation from time to time with the permission of the President,
- The Executive Board may delegate any of its powers to such person or authority as it may determine.
POWERS & FUNCTIONS OF THE ACADEMIC BOARD.
The Academic Board shall have the following powers and functions :-
- The Academic Board shall draw up the plan of the publications annually, and shall also have the power to amend and revise the program of publications.
- It shall plan such comprehensive schemes for publications of original and standard works as to fulfill the Aims and Objects of the Academy with due regard to the availability of such research material,
- It shall have the power to co-opt scholars and experts for purposes of consultation and advise in the preparation of the program of publications,
- It shall have the power to recommend the names of scholars and institutions for presentation of publications free of cost or on concessional rates,
- It shall ordinarily hold its meetings twice a year and all matters arising from time to time shall be decided by circulation,
- It shall submit a progress report on the publication program yearly to the Executive Board.
COMPOSITION OF THE EXECUTIVE AND ACADEMIC BOARDS
The composition of the Executive and Academic Boards of the Academy shall be as follows :-
|S.No||As Per The Revised Scheme||Nominated Member||Designation|
|1||Chairperson, Management Committee||Chairperson||Vice-Chancellor, Osmania University|
|2||Representative of the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan||Member||Representative of Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan|
|3||Representative of the affiliating University(not below the rank of Associate Professor)||Member||The Head, Dept. of Sanskrit, Osmania University|
|4||Heads of Departments of each subject/Deputy Director||Member||Senior Academic Faculty, Sanskrit Academy|
|5||Director of the Adarsh Shodha Sansthan||Member Secretary||Director, Sanskrit Academy|
OFFICERS OF THE ACADEMY
The following shall be the Officers of the Academy :-
- The President, Chancellor
- The Vice-President, Vice-Chancellor The Director & Secretary
- The Chancellor of the Osmania University shall be ex-officio President of the Academy. He shall have such other powers as may be conferred on him by this Constitution.
- The President shall be the highest administrative authority of the Academy.
- The President, at his own Initiative, may inspect or direct an inspection of the Academy.
- The President may issue special instruction to the Executive Board and delegate all or any of his powers to the Vice-President, or any of the officers of the Academy.
- The President shall preside over all the meetings of the Executive Board.
- The Vice-Chancellor of the Osmania University shall be the ex-officio Vice-President of the Academy.
- The Vice-President, in the absence of the President shall preside over all the meetings of the Executive Board.
- He shall preside over all the meetings of the Academic Board.
- He shall be the chief executive officer of the Academy and shall exercise all administrative control, subject to the powers of the President.
- He shall have the power to delegate any of his powers to the Secretary or Director of the Academy,
- He shall have the power to approve the annual Budget and the annual Administrative Report of the Academy passed by the Executive Board and to forward them to the Osmania University Council and to the Government granting aid for information.
- He shall have the power to transfer the unspent amounts from one item to another in the sanctioned
- Budget of the year and to sanction extra expenditure to the extent of Rs. 500/- in case of emergency over and above the Budget, in anticipation of the sanction of the Executive Board.
- He shall have the power to make officiating arrangements for the vacant posts of officers of the Academy and shall sanction long leave or extraordinary leave and other temporary arrangements of the servants of the Academy under the rules after verification from the Audit, wherever it is necessary.
- He shall have the power to sanction the presentation of the publication of the Academy either gratis or at concessional rates to scholars and institutions at his own initiative or on the recommendations of the Director.
- He shall have the power to fix the prices of the publications of the Academy based on the costing system as recommended by the Director.
- The Director of the Academy shall be the Ex-Officio Secretary to the Executive and academic Boards and shall discharge his duties in both capacities.
- He shall be custodian of all records and properties of the Academy and shall maintain the proceedings of all the meetings and shall implement the decisions of the Boards.
- He shall draw the attention of the Vice-President to all such matters that may arise out of the Aims and objects of the Academy and shall place them before the Executive Board for necessary action.
- He shall prepare the agenda of the Executive and Academic Boards and shall take the consent of the Vice-President with a view to holding meetings.
- He shall carry out such other duties as are assigned to him by the president or the Vice-President.
- He shall control, supervise and direct official administration and academic work of the Academy.
- He shall have the power to spend the budgeted provisions sanctioned for the current year.
- He shall have power to sign pay-bill of all the servants of the Academy and settle all governmental and commercial accounts of the Academy on behalf of the Executive Board, and shall operate on the accounts of the Academy in Banks subject to the approval of the Vice-president.
- He shall submit all such matters to the Vice-President as require his approval and sanction.
- He shall be responsible for the discipline and efficient working of all the sections of the Academy.
- He shall draw up the annual Budget, Administrative Report and other memoranda and notes regarding the Academy.
- He shall draw up the annual Budget, Administrative Report and other memoranda and notes regarding the Academy.
- He shall conduct all official, literary, commercial and financial business of the Academy and shall correspond with institutions and scholars on behalf of the Executive Board and shall report important matters to the Vice-President.
- He shall have the power to correspond with Governments, Universities, Academies and other institutions and banks on behalf of the Academy, under the delegated powers of the Vice-President.
He shall act as a Secretary to both the Boards.
Director & Secretary